JNE provided diverse engineering services for a major upgrade of the #2 Blast Furnace at Dofasco Inc. in Hamilton, Ontario. The project is another example of the long-standing partnership that JNE has maintained with the steel maker. JNE Consulting Provided:
- Civil/structural and foundation construction engineering for the completely new casthouse.
- Mechanical/piping construction engineering for the closed loop water cooling system and utility piping.
- All electrical engineering for the entire blast furnace process equipment and support infrastructure.
- The complete automation program development for the blast furnace process control, the Stockhouse upgrade and the furnace charging conveyor system.
- Project management and construction management services.
The complex project involved a complete rebuild of the furnace to incorporate the world’s most advanced ironmaking technology. The rebuilt blast furnace features several advancements over earlier designs that make it one of the safest and most efficient furnaces in North America.
Innovations in the upgrade included automation of the material charging process, complete fume capture for environmental protection and a covered casthouse floor that allows greater furnace access and improved employee safety.
At its peak the blast furnace rebuild employed more than 650 local contractors and took more than 1.1 million labor hours to complete.